Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Music of Oceania: The Kaluli of Papua Niugini




Music of Oceania: The Kaluli of Papua Niugini
Bärenreiter • Musicaphon - BM 30 SL 2702 - P.1982?
Recordings by Steven Feld














Side 1

Kaluli weeping and singing

No. 1 Gisalo and weeping at a spirit medium seance
No. 2 Funerary sa yelab weeping; group
No. 3 Funerary sa yelab weeping; duo
No. 4 Funerary sa yelab weeping; solo


Side 2

No. 5 Heyalo duet
No. 6 Koluba solo and duo with cicadas
No. 7 Heyalo solo scraping sago
No. 8 Heyalo quartet with seed rattles
No. 9 Two group heyalo and whooping
No. 10 Sabio quartet with seed rattles
No. 11 Uluna, jaws harp solo
No. 12 Ilib, hand drum duo




Ilib kuwo drummers





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Minister bolingo!

I looked for this record after reading Steven Feld's Sound and Sentiment last year. Couldn't find it in most academic libraries I have access to. Its a special treat to find it here.

Janas said...

Great! Thank you very much, Bolingo

øשlqæda said...

loving this now. thank you

bolingo69 said...

I am especially happy that you find time to share this experience with me! And anons comment makes it feel extra worthwhile that I posted this. I am going to start with two other Bärenreiter - Musicaphone series soon. One is definitely equally rare, the South East Asian one!
Hope you will enjoy that also...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for these Barenreiter New Guineas! They are indeed among the finest albums from that nation of 865 languages.

I look forward to the Abelam scans (omitted from a post elsewhere).

Also, I can't wait to hear the Southeast Asian discs. It was not possible to buy them even in New York, when they were issued.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, this is a silly question, but are we supposed to be hearing this? I'm reading the comments, and it looks like we can... but I can't seem too. :(

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for re-uploading all these albums.

Hollow Earth said...

Brilliant. Been looking for this for years. Many thanks.